Sunday, November 9, 2014

The Selection by Kiera Cass


     The first book in The Selection series was both very much what I expected, and not at all what I expected it to be. I haven’t really gotten into kind-of-futuristic books before, so this was a little unexpected. This takes place after America has been taken over by China, attacked by Russia, and then turned into its own kingdom. I think what keeps me the most interested in these books are the questions of: who the rebels are and what do they want/what are they looking for? There are love stories intertwined, and it is very much like what I assume the bachelor is (I haven’t ever actually seen the show, so I have no idea). There is only one character’s point of view so far, and I’m glad it’s hers that we get, because out of all of the girls in the selection, she’s my favorite. One character I’m really hoping to see more of is the queen. I really think she’ll end up being a champion to the main character (probably not so ironically named America), and give us another interesting avenue to look down in this series.

     This book is getting a 3.5. It has left me with way more questions than answers, and while sometimes I think that’s appropriate, I don’t know how well it will bode for this series. In my case it’s leading me to read the next book. The writing was very well done in this, none of the dialogue seemed forced, and the setting was done just enough that I wasn’t bored with details, or left with no image of the scenery at all. I love the characters so far, and I have so many questions about some their motives, or what’s going to happen to them. I am SURE (okay, not really, I’m guessing) one of them is going to die in one of the future books, and I know it’s mean but he deserves it. So far, this book was an easy read, and an enjoyable one at that. I don’t exactly know what it could have done better (other than answering some of these damn questions I have), but I’m hoping to see whatever it is that I want in the next book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment