Tuesday, November 11, 2014

My Skylar by Penelope Ward

     My Skylar, by the amazingly talented Penelope Ward, was absolute perfection. There are two other books that go with this one, Gemini, and Jake Undone, but this can be read as a stand-alone (I don’t recommend this, read them both!). The main characters, Mitch and Skylar, go through about every possible thing you can imagine during their long and difficult relationship, including cancer (and contrary to what I expected, this is not another Fault in Our Stars type sad story), unplanned pregnancy, and crazy broads. In the book that came before this, you meet a very interesting Skylar during her time in the hospital when she has cancer. This book takes you to the before and after from that time. This novel also goes into the time she had cancer, but doesn’t spend too long on it.

     This book is above and beyond a five, but that is my highest rating, and there wasn’t a second thought or a doubt in giving it. This book was touching, and heartfelt, and beautiful, and sad, and happy, and real (and real dirty at some parts). It encompassed so many different things over a great deal of time for the two main characters. The author did an amazing job showing a relationship that was beyond difficult, that should have been impossible, but somehow love won out. It was truly beautiful. I was so excited to finally get around to reading this one that I didn’t reread the first two like I wanted. I highly, highly suggest you read those two as well. They are every bit as much as wonderful as this book was.
My Skylar:
Gemini:
Jake Undone:

No comments:

Post a Comment