Monday, September 1, 2014

Rival by Penelope Douglas


     This book is the sequel to Bully, which I absolutely LOVED. Before even starting this book though, I noticed that the author included a playlist. While I find this to be, quite frankly, awesome as fuck, I noticed a particular band spreading it's evil presence into places it doesn't belong. That awful, terrible, rotten, causer-of-ear-bleeds band...nickleback. Gross. I don't even like typing that name out. In reading the book, I don't remember seeing the name pop up (it's possible I mentally blocked it out) but I think if it's in there that there is only one character it can really be connected to, and that is Fallon's mother. This book was not what I was expecting, but to be honest I had no idea what it actually was that I was looking for it to be. It was better than I thought possible. You get to see an entirely different side of Madoc that you never would have dreamed of seeing (and let us be honest, we were all dreaming of Madoc). You also get to see more of Tate and Jared, which made me really happy, and it wasn't so much that you were sick of them, but the perfect amount. And Jax. (Jesus Christ, is it January yet?!) The author paints a pretty picture of the air of mystery surrounding that boy, and I am dying to read the book that he is prominently featured in. Even if he ends up being a completely terrible person (seriously though, I hope he doesn't), I'm still going to love him after how completely and totally fantastic he was in this book.
     I have to give this one another five. The writing was just as perfect as it was in the last book. The characters were clearly a little older, and they acted and spoke as such. There were a lot of parts where I laughed out loud, most especially at Madoc's comment about Fords. There were also a few times where I'm sure I blushed richly (again, be warned, there is a great deal of intercourse described in all of its glorious detail, but what more could you expect from a book about Madoc). The characters were amazing. They might have been even better developed in this book than in the first (and technically second). I also always love it when an author makes you love and respect a character who is generally considered a terrible person. Fallon's father in this book is that character for me. His speech about building your walls was beautifully written, it is entirely possible I watered up a bit. The dialogue was good, the writing was good, the characters were good, the story was amazing. I fucking love a happy ending, and this one gave it to you ten-fold.

No comments:

Post a Comment