Sunday, September 7, 2014

Glamour by Louise Bagshawe (currently known as Louise Mensch)


     Glamour by name, glamour by nature. This book has definitely been one of my favorites for the past few years. I constantly find myself reading a book, and then thinking about this one for some reason or another, and end up reading it (again and again and again). There are two different versions I have been fortunate enough to read, the one published in England and the one published for the US. Normally I find that I like the versions of books from England better, but the US version had one particular scene, that was left out in the English one, that I really thought added that extra bit of healing to one of the main characters. This book follows three young girls, starting out when they are in high school, and then leading them into their early adult lives. Each girl is from a very different background, but circumstances bring them together to be friends that stand the many tests that life throws at each of them. There's a lot of drama, and a lot of ingenuity in each of their lives, and I think Bagshawe (currently Mensch) does a good job of making you believe you can do anything.
     I'd like to give this book a five, because of how much I love it. With that being said, the actual ranking I am going to give this book is a four. The writing is very good, in both versions. The story line is magical. The roller coaster of ups and downs (I didn't want to use such a commonly used metaphor, but it just worked too well) these girls face and deal with are well written, and you want more than anything to see each girl succeed and get everything they're looking for. I really wish we could have seen the mean girls from high school make an appearance later on the books, whether shown in disgrace or stirring up more trouble. There were also a few things I didn't really like about Haya's parts. I don't think we really got to take the time to know and love Jaber like we did her first husband, and it left everything with him feeling rushed and not quite as genuine. Other than that the characters were very well written. You felt each of their pain and all of their joy, and I can honestly say that I wish I was still reading about them. The dialogue was also very well done. It was stiff, and very proper in most of Haya's parts, which was perfect. The Texas twang was also very well done for Sally. The only thing that really annoyed me was the constant use of the word girlfriend when speaking to other women. Other than not wanting the book to end (and it actually ending), and the few random quirks that, while mildly annoying in the characters, were also what made them endearing, this book was pretty fantastic. Definitely one of my favorite books, and not likely to change its status in that area anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment