Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Beauty by Louise Mensch (Formerly Bagshawe)


     If you read this book and didn't immediately run to your local Ulta, Sephora, Mac (insert favorite makeup store here) then you didn't really read this book. Beauty was everything you wanted from a Louise novel. The heroine is brave and beautiful, smart and sassy (again, insert your favorite matching first letter adjectives here to make it more paunchy), she is everything you want to be as a woman. This book followed the normal formula of getting fucked over time and time again, and making it on your own. I don't say this in a negative way though. This book makes you proud to be a woman. It does, like all of her other books, make you feel like you can do anything. I loved Dina, and I absolutely loved Joel. He might be my favorite male character lead in any of her books so far. There were so many parts to this book that I can't say enough good things about, you just need to read it.
     The writing in this was amazing, like you'd expect. It had a lot of the things you come to expect from a Mensch (Bagshawe, whatever) book. It had a great list of characters, all very well developed, and with perfect dialogue. It was also a very fast read. I don't recommend reading this if you have to work though; it will most definitely cause it to drag on for many many hours until you can return to reading (trust me, I know this from experience). This book gets a five. I know I give out a whole lot of super high ratings, and I am pretty easily pleased, but I still think it deserves the score. While this book follows the same type of formula as most of her other books, this one just seems like it is more. More of everything, better developed maybe? I liked and hated (only the ones you're supposed to hate) the characters more. I think the story line was smoother, the emotions shown incredibly well, the characters easier to relate to. It was a good story, that was well written. In short, I loved it (obviously).

No comments:

Post a Comment