Monday, January 19, 2015

Wrong Girl by Lauren Crossley


     Wrong Girl, by Lauren Crossley, was a book that made me feel kind of uncomfortable throughout most of it. This book centers around Zack and Samantha and the attraction they feel towards each other. It is fast, and intense, and not at all acceptable. Zack is engaged to Samantha’s sister. They meet for the first time when Zack and Rachel (the sister) come back to their hometown after living in London, at a party thrown at the girls’ mother’s house. Sparks fly (according to the book), and it all feels very forced and too fast. And while Sam is dealing with these new feelings that just came out of nowhere, she has to deal with their mother. Their mom basically hates Sam because she’s the second daughter she never wanted (just wait until you find out why), and is constantly trying to make Sam feel as awful as humanly possible. Throughout all of this is the myriad of mental health problems, and series of life misfortunes that have been a part of Sam’s life for a very long time.

     I have to give this book a 2.5. It wasn’t bad, but it really didn’t pick up for me until the end, when all of the secrets came out. I also hated the number of times whilst was used (which was so many times that I can’t even give you a count). I can understand wanting to write a book that deals with adultery, but this one dealt with too many other things too, and made you feel kind of dirty while reading it. If you’ve read Love, in English and Love, in Spanish, by Karina Halle, than you know it can be done tastefully and right. The grammatical errors were also quite plentiful in this one. I hate to be so critical (it makes me feel like a terrible person), especially when it wasn’t awful, but I’m glad it’s done. It wasn’t a terrible read, but it certainly hasn’t been my favorite (by a long shot).

No comments:

Post a Comment