Monday, January 26, 2015

Wait For You by J. Lynn


     Wait For You, by Jennifer L. Armentrout (writing as J. Lynn), is the beginning in a series that has been in my top favorites since I first read it. I have recently felt the strong urge for a reread (after recommending it to a friend and fellow booklover), and as per usual I could not put it down. This book is about Avery leaving home, and going to college a few thousand miles away to escape her past. She meets Cameron, who is probably the hottest man on the planet, and conveniently her new across the hall neighbor. After a few awkward and hilarious encounters, including her literally running into him (jokes about plowing were made), he starts asking her out. A lot. Because she won’t say yes. They start dating, and she starts realizing she needs to start actually coping with her past, and start opening up to him if she wants this thing to work. It’s not always easy, but nothing ever worth it was. There are a lot serious issues that get worked through in this book, a lot of tough shit to read. There is also a lot of funny shit. My favorite part of the book is an exchange between Cam’s parents, when Avery goes there for Thanksgiving.
“Hey!” Mr. Hamilton’s head whipped around, eyes dancing. “You listen here woman.”
“You can listen to my foot up your ass if you call me woman again.”
I’m not sure why it’s my favorite (maybe it’s a phrase that gets thrown around daily in my house), but it makes me happy every time I read it.
     I am, wholeheartedly, giving this book a five. It is very funny, very sad, and really messed up. You get the full range of feels, and while some parts may make you cry, you never get to the ugly cry point, which is actually kind of nice, and if you don’t actually laugh out loud while reading this book, you are not a real person. The dialogue in this book is on point. The way the characters talk feels so real, especially given their age range, and that is not always the case in a lot books. People try to be super PC and it doesn’t flow like it should. This book flowed smooth as silk.

     The next book in this series is from Cam’s perspective. It’s book 1.5, and while I will normally read that one again too, I really want to get to actual book number 2. I can tell you though, if you haven’t read that one, the book from his perspective is really good too. It’s a whole lot of the same stuff, but seeing it from his view doesn’t make it boring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment