Monday, January 5, 2015

The Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks


     The Longest Ride, by Nicholas Sparks, was not (and this is going to sound pretty harsh) the piece of crap I expected it to be. I was fully expecting to hate him all over again, with a renewed and stronger hatred than I had felt before, but I was not. This story takes us back and forth between two very different, yet oddly similar relationships, through two very different time periods. As always, when I actually like a book, it’s hard for me to give too much of a summary, because I feel like I’ll give it away. The fact that I am telling you I didn’t hate it, is spoiler enough. In this story we find Ira, who is 91 and has been in a terrible car accident, he’s on the side of the road, covered in injuries, in a vehicle that is upside down in the snow. His long deceased wife’s ghost is what comforts him in that time, keeps him conscious, and takes him back through their life together, and apart. Flash forward to Luke and Sophia and the start of their relationship. They have quite a few trials to go through (Luke could die at any point in this book, and with Sparks as the author is practically inevitable), and much to overcome, not least of all including what they’re going to do when he can’t pay for the ranch, and she can’t find a job after graduation. If you’ve seen the movie trailer (the only reason I ended up reading this book in the first place), you know that Sophia and Luke are the ones who find Ira.

     I’m giving this book a 4. There was one part in this book that made me extremely angry (like rant to my fiancĂ© and friend angry). It was when Ira was in the war and he was talking about the two people he was closest with there. I really felt like the names Sparks’ used were lazily picked. I know those names, and what and where they’re from, and I just didn’t feel like it was okay. Other than that, I loved how the two relationships intertwined in the end. It did make me cry a little when they got to the part where Ruth died (it’s not really a spoiler), but the love stories were beautiful. As much as I may really hate just about everything Nicholas Sparks does, he has a way of making you fall in love with characters fast and hard. This book was obviously written well, he’s been doing it long enough that he knows what he’s doing, but it was the stories within stories within stories that really made this book what it was. Hopefully the movie does it justice, I’m not sure it’ll be able to capture the magic in this book, but I guess I’ll probably find out (many apologies to my fiancĂ©, who I will probably drag with me).

No comments:

Post a Comment