Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover


     Ugly Love, by Colleen Hoover, should more aptly be named A Book That Will Make You Ugly Cry.
When Tate Collins meets airline pilot Miles Archer, she knows it isn’t love at first sight. They wouldn’t even go so far as to consider themselves friends. The only thing Tate and Miles has in common is an undeniable mutual attraction. Once their desires are out in the open, they realize they have the perfect set-up. He doesn’t want love, she doesn’t have time for love, so that just leaves the sex. Their arrangement could be surprisingly seamless, as long as Tate can stick to the only two rules Miles has for her.
Never ask about the past.
Don’t expect a future.
The think they can handle it, but realize almost immediately they can’t handle it all. Hearts get infiltrated. Promises get broken. Rules get shattered. Love gets ugly.

     Once again, I find myself in need of giving another Colleen Hoover book a 5. It really takes you through an emotional ringer. I actually expected it to get worse between Tate and Miles than it did, and I am beyond happy that that was not the case. This book goes back and forth between Tate’s present and Miles’ past, slowly piecing things together, but not giving you the whole picture until nearly the end. Fair warning, the last ¾ of this book is tears streaming down your face city, and while some people may figure out what actually happened, and while I kept thinking I knew what happened, I was wrong every time and didn’t fully get it until it was totally spelled out. I love figuring out problems and stuff in books, but I love it even more when I can’t figure it out on my own. Aside from the sad parts in this book (in which there are many), the love story in here (like all of the previous Colleen Hoover books I have read so far) is absolutely beautiful. If I thought I could handle reading this book again, it would be added to the many that I reread over and over. I don’t mean this as a negative comment, but unless I’m looking to bawl my eyes out for a good part of an evening, I don’t think I’ll be able to do it again. This book has that kind of power. 

No comments:

Post a Comment