Sunday, October 12, 2014

The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks


     The best of me was a really good book. And writing that was really hard. It was definitely a beautiful story, I just hated how it ended. I suppose I wont give all the details away, but I can tell you that, in a way, it all kind of wrapped around nicely in the end. I also want to mention that while I may have hated the ending with a fiery passion, that doesn't mean that it was bad (look at me being an adult). This novel had a lot going on in it. You got to see things from a few different character's viewpoints, and that definitely made it a more interesting read. One of the parts I really liked about this book (and probably shouldn't have) is how the author can make you wish for something that you would normally be morally opposed to. It's amazing to see the way we feel about morals and relationships when looking at them from different perspectives, and Sparks is amazing at giving us these different perspectives and putting the character's into the situations he puts them into. Time and time again I feel like Spark's tries to teach us to not judge relationships that we aren't apart of, because you never really know what is happening inside of them.

     This book is getting a four from me. I really, really, really hated the ending. I understood why he did it, and I know things can't always work the want I want them to in the real world, but I still hated it. With that being said, my personal preference is to live in a constant state of denial where everything has a happily ever after ending (clearly I am a realist). I can't stress enough to you though that this book really was fantastic. I know it seems like I am criticizing some of it pretty harshly, and while I kind of am, it is not in the way I normally would. The writing, as always with Sparks, is amazing. The characters are very well developed. Even though you hate Abee because he is a piece of crap, you still kind of wish he could change and be not such a giant piece of crap. Things like that made this book amazing. So even though I hated the ending (I'm not sure if you can tell, but I seriously hated the ending), I can definitely see myself as being one of the few that feels this way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment